L-sit is a very impressive skill which requires whole body support and it takes a lot of strength and coordination to be in position. This exercise will help you in shreding your core and shoulder too. You only need parallettes to perform this exercise, you can also do that without it and thats more difficult and challenging.
Lets dig deeper into all the progressions and training methods in the following youtube video –
There are three progressions to master l-sit –
Just get your hands on the parallettes, lift one leg up and keep it straight. Hold your arms, shoulders are straight and tight and push a lil bit up. Hold this position for 10-15 seconds and then do the same thing with other leg for 10-15 seconds. Go for total of 3 sets.
Progression 2 / Tuck L-sit
Again, get your hands on the parallettes, shoulders, arms straight, look ahead and lift both of your legs in a tuck position. Then hold it for atleast 15-20 seconds. Do it also 3 sets and before going for progression 3 if you’re not able to hold tuck l-sit for 15-20 seconds then, keep doing it and do not proceed to progression 3.
Progression 3 / Switching leg l-sit / One leg l-sit
This progression is a very tough variation of l-sit because you need to switch legs in the air which is really challenging. Just put one leg straight and hold it for 10 seconds and then switch it up then again hold other leg for 10 seconds. Do this for 3 sets. You can go for 15 seconds too, to build a stronger core.
If you’ll be able to perform all these exercises perfectly then you’re ready to perform l-sit. Just get your hands on the parallettes, lift your legs and keep it straight and go for 20 seconds atleast. When you’ll be able to hold l-sit for 20 seconds or more then, you have build a strong core and you can also hold more for more stronger core. A good 3-4 months is max to master l-sit but you need to perform this move atleast 2 times in a week.
Positioning of l-sit –
- Elbows straight and locked on parallettes or ground then lift your leg up. Shoulders pulled back and down.
- Keep your back straight and core engaged to keep shoulders and spine from rounding forward.
- Keep your chest up and out.
- Locked your knees and keep your toes pointed.
- Just see straight and focus on one point, rather than looking down at the ground. This will keep the neck in a neutral position and will help keep your shoulders from sagging.
Benefits of l-sit –
- L-sit works on your abs, obliques, hip flexors, quads, triceps, shoulders, pecs, and lats.
- It will strengthen your triceps muscles which is also beneficial for exercises like dips, pull-ups, diamond push-up.
- It will increase your will power, mental strength because holding this exercise is really tough.
Most important thing if you have a shoulder pain, wrist pain then don’t do this exercise.